Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My bed is on the floor, my clothes aren't in drawers and other reasons living alone suits me.

In my most recent move, I purchased a new bed. A glorious, beautiful, perfect and cozy new bed. I do not get to spend enough quality time with my bed. Which is very unfortunate. Things about my bed that are awesome: it's memory foam (yes, the jumping with the wine glass without spilling thing is totally real), it's super great for flips (like gymnastics style flips), I don't have to share it with anyone but George (the stuffed monkey) and it's on the floor. I can eat pretzels and other snacks and just make the crumbs be on the other side. I get to have all seven pillows to myself.

The thing is, because it's memory foam, it needs to have a platform-style frame. And while there are some reeeeeally pretty platform beds, they're also realllllllly expensive. So right after I bought said bed, I told myself I would build my own. My carpentry skills are actually quite good (thank you stagecraft) and I am entirely capable. My schedule is not. My little car is also not entirely equipped to handle lumber. Yes, these are excuses. I might still build a bed frame. Then again, I might not. My flips are getting pret-ty awesome and if my bed weren't on the floor, they wouldn't be.. And no one can tell me to stop.

Another reason I shouldn't build a frame and get my bed off the floor: my clothes will get lonely. I had this grand idea when I moved that I would sort my laundry as I take it off (in my handy new sorter trolley) and wash a load every couple days, which would prevent the major pile-ups that are generally the norm. 

That lasted..... negetive 12 minutes. My clothes: everywhere. I take them off where I feel like. It is not uncommon to find half an outfit in the pantry, another part by the bookshelf, one sock in the hallway and the other in the dirty clothes nest. To be fair, I don't usually have socks on that match, so no one would really know how oddly scattered they are. I just hate laundry. Hate it hate it hate it. I don't mind cleaning the bathroom. I don't mind dishes. (Total lie. I also hate dishes). OK, to be totally honest, the only cleaning I don't mind is cleaning the bathroom. Weird and gross fun fact about me. So, there are bursts of super clean and neat living where I solemnly swear I will never let myself live in a world where there are no more clean forks.

(That world is a world where I just shut the door on the spare room and pretend that mess isn't mine.)


A few more reasons I like living alone: I can just pretend the growing organism in the back of the fridge isn't real, I always pick the movie, I can talk to dragons, no one tells me that keeping soup in the towel cupboard doesn't work, the chalkboard in the bathroom is fun and I always like the kind of beer in the fridge.

I didn't realize I had fans of my ramblings. My sincerest apologies for the delays in postings. Here's a picture from a Halloween fun run. The flying umbrella did not help.


No comments:

Post a Comment