Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Neat Days, Goodbye to a friend and getting my smile back


Yesterday was a neat day. It had everything a day should have: nice weather, doggies, laughter, tears, friendship and a whoooole lot of carbs.

The day didn’t (admittedly) start great. I didn’t want to get up. My head still hurts. Seriously. Still. Hurts. I have a wayyy high tolerance for pain, and this is getting ridiculous. Especially since I very very rarely get headaches. Maybe I have the plague.

So, the day happened. Work was weird. Here’s the thing about my job: when I have a to-do list, it doesn’t EVER get done. Yes, my work is all about people, and whatever happens, happens. I do have actual other things with deadlines though. That combination is very very tricky. It depends entirely on when the phone rings, who walks in and how needy people are. I have been known to shout from my desk when I see tourists wandering up. The glass must be relatively soundproof because my pleas of “GO awAY! We don’t want you here. No one really wants you to visit. You don’t need to know where that one restaurant that used to have that one thing on the menu that moved down the block many years ago and used to be run by the kid next door’s uncle. I really don’t care if you find the bike trail. NO you won’t get lost. Only 8200 people live here, it’s not big enough to get lost. The eagles are really not that exciting. Frankly, that one that got fried on a pole had it coming. You couldn’t find our office? Really? THEN HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU STANDING HERE TALKING TO ME.”

They really must not hear that. They certainly act like they don’t. It’s only on crabby days that I shout. I don’t shout every single day. My co-worker does give me a piece of advice on my life every single day. Yesterday it was “I think you need to make better choices in terms of friendship and bedfellows.” I’ve decided I’m going to incorporate her daily wisdom into my blog.

She’s a wise lady.

It's so beautiful it makes me want to throw up. And I  get to live here.
Post work: Walk some dogs. Not my dogs. Some dogs that belong to some friends. I watch them regularly. We play games. We have good talks. The walk was long. (The poor doggies have short little legs. They were troopers.) The leaves were amazing. It was a simply perfect fall day. Simply. Perfect. Things have been a little rough lately. Well, more than a little rough. I’ve been kind of a mess lately. Most things have been a mess lately, and I’ve been trying to claw my way out of this hole.


What a handsome little nugget.



But yesterday, I got my smile back. After the most amazing walk, I went home, got myself into some great new fall clothes, and had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants with a dear friend. Ms. Elizabeth is leaving. For a long, long time. For an island in the Pacific. With the Peace Corps. With no internet. And potentially no running water. Last night was the last time I’ll see her until 2015. 2015. Justin Beiber will (maybe) have gone through puberty by then. OH, how good it was to spend one last evening with her. We drank some beer, we ate some bread, we ate some hummus, we ate some pasta, we ate some cake…we talked about everything. We just got to be. I just love her, and I wish her so much love and light on her journey into the ocean. She’s one of the bravest people I know, and I will miss her so very much. Send that girl some love and strength, world!

So, yesterday was great. I’m still fighting some battles, but I got a little victory. Today I played at the park with two of my favorite small beings, (humans) and one of my favorite large beings (also human). And, I got to go back to tap class. Yes, tap class. Oh, glorious day, tap class—and ballet is coming on Thursday! And, my friend made me chili and complimented my life-sized stuffed sherbert colored winged toothed dragon. I think today was a neat day, too.
Some of my favorite humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment